No-Bake Chocolate Maca Protein Cookies with a maca glaze! A lower-carb protein snack with healthy fats that is super quick and easy to make. Vegan and gluten-free.
So last week one night we decided to have my little sister over for dinner. Nothing fancy, not a special occasion. But I bought mini pretzel rolls for hamburgers that night. And the girl is obsessed with pretzel buns. So naturally I had to invite her.
Plus we missed having our “child” around after being with her on vacation for an entire week.
It’s moments like those that make me really happy. Being able to call up one of my siblings and say “Hey wanna come over for din?”
Or “Who’s home to hangout by the pool this weekend?”
Or playing Just Dance on the Wii with them and laughing hysterically.
As I mentioned last week, I’ve been trying to practice having more gratitude. And something that immediately comes to mind is the amount of time I’ve been able to spend with family this summer, and all of these moments truly have me feeling so thankful.
I’m also thankful for homemade no-bake cookies. Because I just got back from a walk outside and it is freakin’ HOT out there guys.
I’m back on the protein cookie train because I loved these guys so much that I needed to come up with another flavor, STAT.
I’ve had maca powder sitting in my cupboard for ages that I’ll randomly add to my morning shakes every once in a while, but I wanted something more purposeful for you.
So I bring you: Chocolate Maca Protein Cookies with a MACA GLAZE.
Yes, a maca glaze. Which is really just maca powder mixed with coconut butter and it creates sweet little layer on top.
Here’s what you need
plant protein powder
nut or seed butter
brown rice syrup or honey
What is maca, exactly? It is actually a root from the member of the cruciferous family (think broccoli, cabbage, kale, etc.) with over 20 amino acids and rich in phytonutrients. It has been shown to have a variety of health benefits, i.e. balancing hormones, stabilizing blood sugar, etc.
- 3/4 cup plant protein powder protein powder (I used MRM Veggie Vanilla)
- 3 TBS almond meal (or flour)
- 2 TBS cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa)
- 2 TBS maca powder*
- 1/2 cup natural nut or seed butter, preferably little to no oil/sugar added (I used a blend of cashew and almond butter)
- 3 TBS brown rice syrup (or honey if not strictly vegan)
- 1 TBS extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 3–4 TBS unsweetened non-dairy milk*
- maca glaze:
- 1 TBS maca powder*
- 1 TBS coconut butter
- In a large bowl, combine protein powder, almond meal, cacao powder, and maca powder. Stir until well mixed and set aside.
- Add in nut or seed butter, brown rice syrup, and melted coconut oil. Stir gently until well combined.
- Add one tablespoon of milk at a time, until mixture forms into crumbled dough texture. Dough should be moist, but slightly crumbly.
- Divide dough into 8 even pieces, about golf ball size, rolling into circle and shaping into flat cookie shape. Place on lined baking sheet, set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together maca and coconut butter until well combined. Use spoon to drizzle maca coconut butter topping over cookies. Place baking sheet in freezer for 15 minutes, or fridge for 30 minutes and allow cookies and melted chocolate to set.
- Store cookies in airtight container in fridge up to 2 weeks, and in freezer well wrapped for up to 3 months. Enjoy!
*Make sure to add milk only 1 TBS at a time, stirring in between. All protein powders are different and will absorb liquid differently.
*Read this article as to why gelatinized maca powder may be more suitable for you.
–This recipe is adapted from my Chocolate Cherry Protein Cookies, but can be easily made into bars or balls instead of cookie shape.
- Serving Size: 1/8th
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 275
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 16
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Have you tried maca? If so, what’s your favorite way to enjoy?
- What are you thankful for this summer?
maca recipes from friends
Raw Maca Brownies — rachLmansfield
Banana Nut Maca Energy Bites — My Healthyish Life
Superfood Hot Chocolate — The Healthy Maven
Strawberry Banana Maca Smoothie — A Fit Philosophy