- 3/4 cup plant protein powder* (like MRM Veggie, Aloha, or a plant protein blend)
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal or almond meal*
- 3 TBS cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter or blend (nut butter works too)
- 3 TBS brown rice syrup (or honey if not strictly vegan)
- 1 TBS extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/8 tsp pure mint extract
- 3 TBS water*
- Line a medium-large bread pan with parchment paper, letting hang over sides and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine protein powder, flaxseed meal or almond meal and cacao powder. Stir until well mixed. Add nut/seed butter, melted coconut oil, and peppermint extract. Stir gently until well combined.
- Begin adding one tablespoon of water at a time, until mixture forms into slightly crumbled dough texture. Dough should be moist, but slightly crumbly. Use your hands if necessary to make sure everything is well mixed at the end.
- Press mixture into prepared pan with slightly wet hands. Flatten as much as you can. (I used the overhang of parchment paper to press and get really flat.)
- Melt the chocolate: in a small microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil together on half power, about 20-30 seconds, in increments as needed, until chocolate is completely melted, then add in peppermint extract and stir again.
- Pour melted chocolate over bars and place in freezer for 30 minutes, or refrigerator for at least 1 hour to set. Lift parchment paper from pan and cut into 10 bars.
- Store bars in airtight container in fridge up to 2 weeks, and in freezer well wrapped for up to 3 months.
*I’ve made this recipe with both flaxseed meal and almond meal. Either work depending on your dietary needs.
*Make sure to add water only 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring in between. All protein powders are different and will absorb liquid differently.
I like to individually wrap bars and store in fridge and/or freezer for a quick snack or easy lunch packing.
Recipe slightly modified and updated January 2020 for a simpler version of essentially the same recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 178
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 142
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 9
- Cholesterol: 0