These almond matcha muffins are the perfect breakfast snack or afternoon pick-me-up. Made gluten free friendly with whole grain flour and almond flour, plus dairy free.
- 1 1/4 cups 1:1 gluten-free baking flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 TBSP quality matcha powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBSP coconut sugar or dry sweetener of choice*
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp almond extract**
optional: sliced almonds and coarse sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and line muffin pan with paper cups or spray with oil; set aside.
- In medium bowl mix together dry ingredients – whole grain flour, almond flour, matcha powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together oil and eggs. Add sugar, milk and almond extract, gently whisk until combined. Pour dry ingredients into bowl of wet ingredients and stir together using large rubber spatula, until just combined.
- Evenly disperse batter into prepared muffin pan, about 2/3 way full – a medium cookie scoop works great for this. Top with sliced almonds and coarse sugar if you’d like.
- Bake muffins for 15-20 minutes, until muffin tops have cracked and inserted toothpick comes out clean. Every oven is different, check muffins at 15 minutes.
- Let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing and placing on rack. Muffins are best enjoyed within three days and can be stored in the fridge for 4-5 days.
You can also sub a whole wheat white flour, but whole wheat pastry flour will yield a slightly softer muffin.
I did not test these with almond meal but because mainly whole grain flour is used here, almond meal may work. I used this blanched almond flour.
*If you have sweeter tooth, I suggest using 3/4 cup sugar. You can use a dry sweetener of your choice – but subbing honey or maple syrup would affect the rest of the ratios. Using coconut sugar will make the green a little bit darker and less bright green.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
Keywords: matcha muffins, baking with matcha, dairy free muffins