Life lately up north, summertime and gratitude.
1. Up North in Michigan. If you’ve never been, you must.
4th of July week Drew and I plus my little sister spent some time in the UP at Drummond Island with his parents, before making our way over to Taquemenon Falls and Pictured Rocks.
Drew and I realized we hadn’t been to the UP in about six years. Typically it would be a once a year visit, at the very least. But with us previously living in PA for the past four years, getting to the UP felt nearly impossible. Total trip time would be roughly 14 hours, YIKES. With this summer being our first back in Michigan for nearly five years, it made me appreciate our Great Lakes State more than ever.
It was my first time checking out the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, and possibly my first time ever actually touching Lake Superior <— it was effin’ cold.
We spent some time wandering on 12 Mile Beach at the campground we stayed at, before making our way over to Munising where the Pictured Rocks boat cruises were.
If you’ve never been up to Pictured Rocks, you seriously need to go and do the cruise. It’s the coolest thing.
And yes, the water is seriously that blue green color. I was in HEAVEN.
In other happenings as of late…
2. I haven’t been spending as much time in the kitchen as I’d like lately. But with it being summer and just wanting to make the most of my time, I am giving myself a little break from stressing out about it. It’s just not worth it you know? I can only do so much in a day or week without getting burnt out/stressed out.
3. Giving myself a break also allows me to actually be more present and just live in the moment. While on vacation last week I only had one blog post. At first I was a little annoyed with myself, but then honestly just accepted it and moved on. We were also without service a majority of the time so it forced me to let that shit go. It was actually rather liberating. Please, PLEASE, take a break from the internet once in awhile, people. And get outside. It does the soul good.
4. Being without cell service last week also meant I missed some major news while we were gone. I caught up last weekend on the various stories, and I just got so sad for our nation. My heart hurts. It was refreshing to read this post from Lindsay… but all in all it is still just unbelievable to me, after all of these years, the kind of hate there is in this world, and our country. Sorry that was a little sad, but it has been on my mind.
5. Two or three years ago at this time, I was in LA for a work trip. I remember seeing all of these girls in their fitness gear and telling my coworkers, “I want to go where they’re going!”. Well funny enough, I am there now. 😀 The IDEA World Convention and BlogFest are happening this week and I am attending through my ambassadorship with Sweat Pink. I get to see some familiar faces from the NOW Influencer Immersion trip, as well as meet in person some fellow BGB girls! Super (super) pumped.
6. I’m trying to actively practice having more gratitude. Between listening to various interviews on Blissful Bites, and reading You Are a Badass*, it’s a constant theme. And it is a game changer. I’m thankful every day for my marriage and the amazingly wonderful support I get from Drew, my friends, my health, being back in Michigan close to family… being thankful for these things help me move forward each day to living a more positive, happier and fulfilling life.
For some of you that may be easy to do. But I’m betting if you’ve been stressed lately or feeling anxious about anything at all, it is sometimes hard to remember that you have a lot to be thankful for. And finding that gratitude helps to ease the stress and anxiety <3
7. The number of times I’ve mistaken melted chocolate on my arms and hands for little new moles over the past week is comical and/or concerning… Don’t ask me how this happens.
What can you tell me about your life lately?
How is your summer going?
thanks to Amanda for letting me think out loud
Rate this Recipe