- 2/3 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk* + 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemons
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour** (or whole wheat white)
- 2 1/2 TBS poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest of 3 medium lemons (about 1 TBS)
- 1/4 cup oil (avocado, macadamia nut, melted/cooled coconut oil*)
- 1/2 cup beet sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon flavor (optional but adds a lemony boost)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease donut pan cavities with oil, set aside.
- In medium bowl add milk with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Stir and let sit for 2 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine whole wheat pastry flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In the medium bowl with milk + lemon juice mixture, add in oil, beet sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Whisk together until combined, then gently add to large bowl of dry ingredients. Use large spatula to mix until just combined.
- Gently spoon batter into greased donut cavities until 3/4 full (see pictures in post), about 3 tablespoons of batter. Bake for 8-10 minutes (see pictures in post) then allow to cool in pan for 3-5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter, you should have about 12 donuts.
- While donuts are cooling, make your glaze: combine 3/4 cup powdered sugar with 2 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice, more zest if you wish. Gently dip donuts into bowl of glaze and place back on cooling rack–place parchment paper or pan underneath to catch drippings.
- Allow glaze to set, about 5 minutes, and enjoy your donuts!
*Can sub regular dairy (cow) milk as well.
**Can sub a gluten-free all purpose flour.
Donuts are best enjoyed fresh but will last in container at room temperature up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 238mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 16mg