These Jackfruit Tacos are an amazing plant based taco recipe for anyone to enjoy. Young jackfruit takes on all of the taco seasoning spices for a flavorful meat substitute. Ready in about 30 minutes! Vegan, paleo and gluten free friendly.
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil, onion and garlic to pan. Cook until fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare jackfruit: strain, rinse and pat dry the canned jackfruit. Remove the cores and begin shredding the soft centers (you can keep the pod-like centers if they’re small or discard large ones). Once all shredded, pat dry again.
3. Add shredded jackfruit into skillet, sprinkle on taco seasoning, adobo sauce, salt and pepper. Stir to coat and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
4. Then add in juice of 1 lime, water, stir and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. And now your jackfruit taco meat is ready for tacos, burrito bowls, nachos, salads and more.
6. Serve jackfruit as you would for tacos, using your favorite shells and adding your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Make sure to get young jackfruit, in water or brine – not syrup. You can find here.
If you don’t have taco seasoning on hand, make this quick. Or I suggest this combination of spices: 1 Tbsp Chili Powder, ½ Tbsp Paprika, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder.
Store leftover jackfruit taco meat in covered container in fridge, use within 4-5 days.
Jackfruit taco meat can also be frozen, up to 3 months. Thaw in fridge and then reheat on stovetop over medium heat.
Keywords: jackfruit tacos, vegan taco recipe, jackfruit recipes