- 1 medium head cabbage
- oil for cooking
- salt and pepper
cilantro lime avocado sauce
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 3 small limes)
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 small ripe avocado, pitted and fleshed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp honey or agave syrup (optional)
- 3–4 TBSP water (to thin as desired)
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove the outer layer of the cabbage slice in half, with core down on mat. You can trim off a little bit of bottom/core, just don’t cut too far or the cabbage will fall apart when you slice.
- Slice the cabbage into about 1″ thickness and use pastry brush to lightly cover with olive oil – sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper (if you’d like).
- Carefully place the cabbage slices on the grill; cook about 5 minutes or so each side. Once the cabbage gets some color (char), and the outer leaves start to curl, the cabbage should be done. Carefully transfer grilled cabbage to dish and serve with sauce, if desired.
- To make sauce: add all ingredients to blender; process until smooth. Add water to thin sauce as desired. Taste test for more salt, spice or sweetness.
Store leftover grilled cabbage in closed container in fridge; best enjoyed within 1 day.