Honey Grapefruit Glazed Chicken with coconut rice, cilantro and mint is unbelievably good. Make paleo by using cauliflower rice if you’d like! Gluten-free.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lite canned coconut milk
- 1 cup white or brown rice (I used long grain white)
- salt to taste
grapefruit glazed chicken:
- 1 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (about 2 large Winter Sweetz Grapefruits)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 TBS coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 TBS tapioca starch/flour
- 2lbs chicken breast (could also use chicken thighs)
- grapefruit segments (see this video)
- purple kale
- Prepare the rice: In a medium-large saucepan over medium-high heat add water and coconut milk and bring to boil. Add in rice bringing pot to simmer and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes, according to package instructions. Remove from heat when done.
- Meanwhile prepare the grapefruit glaze: In medium saucepan over medium heat add freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, honey, coconut sugar, coconut aminos, vinegar, oil, spices and salt. Whisk gently until combined and allow mixture to come to a boil before simmering for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare the chicken: Trim off any excess fat from chicken breast as desired. Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with coriander, cumin, chili powder and salt. Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add some oil to pan and place chicken breast in pan, not overcrowding the pan. Cook chicken about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Now that the sauce has simmered, remove from heat and whisk in the 2 tapioca starch – whisk quickly and continuously so it doesn’t clump. You can omit the tapioca starch, the sauce just won’t be as thick.
- Pour sauce over chicken in skillet and allow the chicken to simmer for about another 3 minutes, or until internal temperature has reached 165ºF. Remove from heat.
- Serve grapefruit glazed chicken with coconut rice and top with fresh cilantro, mint, grapefruit segments, and massaged purple kale. Enjoy!
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Honey glazed chicken, grapefruit glazed chicken, gluten free honey chicken