- 4–5 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 TBS coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk, room temperature (canned coconut milk will provide richer texture but any milk works)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pecan Oat Crumble
- Cut sweet potatoes in large chunks (I left skins on) and place in large pot of water. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes then reduce to simmer about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender – check with fork. Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel skins once potatoes have cooled.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease/spray large casserole dish or 9×13 pan; set aside.
- Place peeled sweet potatoes in bowl of stand mixer with maple syrup, melted & cooled oil, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Use paddle attachment to gently combine. Keep some texture with the potatoes, but you want the mixture fairly smooth. You can also do this by hand using a potato masher.
- Transfer sweet potato mixture into prepared casserole dish; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine ingredients for crumble: oats, flour, pecans, sugar, softened coconut oil, cinnamon and nutmeg. Use fork to combine or hands to mix together at end, leaving chunks.
- Sprinkle pecan oat crumble on top of sweet potato mixture, pressing gently into mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes, until crumble is slightly golden. Allow casserole to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
*can use softened butter if not vegan/dairy-free
Other methods for preparing sweet potatoes
BAKE METHOD: Poke holes in the sweet potatoes and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in oven at 400ºF for about 1 hour (check at 45 minutes.) Sweet potatoes are done when soft. Allow to cool before peeling
INSTANT POT METHOD: Place steamer basket in pot and add 1 cup of water. Place whole sweet potatoes (layering as needed) in pot, close lid and set valve to sealing position. Set to “Manual” and cook on high pressure for 17 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes. Rinse under cold water and peel skins.
- Serving Size: 1/12th
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 47mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg