- 1/2 cup + 3 TBS coconut flour (70g)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 10–12 medjool dates, 1 cup loosely packed (175g), pitted
- 1 TBS non-dairy milk or cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (130g)
- 2 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- Line a 9×5 loaf pan parchment paper allowing extra to hang over edge, or use a silicone pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add coconut flour, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Use spoon or spatula to fully combine. Allow dough to rest for a few minutes so coconut flour absorbs moisture.
- While dough is resting, add pitted dates to small food processor or blender (I was able to use my NutriBullet). Add 1 tablespoon of non-dairy milk and vanilla extract to blender and process until smooth. (You may need to scrape down the blender cup/bowl a couple times.)
- Spread coconut flour dough into lined loaf pan, pressing flat and evenly into all four corners. Add date paste and use spatula to spread an even layer onto base.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil together in medium microwave safe bowl in 15 second increments, stirring in between until fully melted. Pour melted chocolate into pan and spread smooth.
- Place pan in fridge and allow bars to set for 20-30 minutes (I do not recommend putting bars in freezer here because I found it makes the crust too hard).
- Once the bars have set, lift out and place on cutting board. Using a large sharp knife slice bars into 16 squares. (You can wipe knife between each cut with paper towel if you want no crumbs on the squares)
- Bars can be enjoyed at room temperature but store in container in fridge.
Enjoy bars at room temperature to prevent chocolate topping from cracking too much.
Store bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Note most of carbs in this recipe are from natural sugars in the dates. And the fats are healthy from the coconut oil.
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 17
- Sodium: 1
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 0