- 1/2 cup + 3 TBS coconut flour (70g)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 10–12 medjool dates, 1 cup loosely packed (175g), pitted
- 1 TBS non-dairy milk or cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (130g)
- 2 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- Line a 9×5 loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing extra to hang over edge. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add coconut flour, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Use spoon or spatula to fully combine. Allow dough to rest for a few minutes so coconut flour absorbs moisture.
- While dough is resting, add pitted dates to small food processor or blender (I was able to use my NutriBullet). Add 1 tablespoon of non-dairy milk and vanilla extra to blender and process until smooth. (You may need to scrape down the blender cup/bowl a couple times.)
- Spread coconut flour dough into lined loaf pan, pressing flat and evenly into all four corners. Add date paste and use spatula to spread an even layer onto base.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil together in medium microwave safe bowl in 15 second increments, stirring in between until fully melted. Pour melted chocolate into pan and spread smooth.
- Place pan in fridge and allow bars to set for 20-30 minutes (I do not recommend putting bars in freezer here because I found it makes the crust too hard).
- Once the bars have set, lift the plastic wrap out and place on cutting board. Using a large sharp knife slice bars into 16 squares. (You can wipe knife between each cut with paper towel if you want no crumbs on the squares)
- Bars can be enjoyed at room temperature but store in container in fridge.
Enjoy bars at room temperature.
Store bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Note most of carbs in this recipe are from natural sugars in the dates. And the fats are healthy from the coconut oil.
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 17
- Sodium: 1
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 0