Healthy Morning Glory Muffins made gluten free friendly, sweetened with maple syrup and dairy-free. Loaded with all the texture from walnuts, apples, carrots, raisins and coconut. Lots of ways to make these your own.
- 1 3/4 cups 1:1 gluten-free baking flour or whole wheat white flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg*
- 1/4 cup oil (avocado, olive, whatever you have)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and line 12-cup muffin pan with liners or spray with oil; set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together applesauce, maple syrup and egg. Add in oil and orange juice, stir until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to bowl of wet until *just* combined. Then add in all of the mix-ins. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Evenly distribute batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 5 minutes at 425ºF. Then drop oven temperature down to 350ºF and continue baking for 15-20 minutes. Muffins will be done when inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack.
FLOUR: You can also use half whole wheat with half all-purpose, or whole wheat pastry flour.
*VEGAN / EGG-FREE SUB: You can likely sub 1 TBSP flaxseed meal + 3 TBSP water; let sit for 3-4 minutes. I did not test these this way but with most of my muffin recipes this sub works. If using gluten-free flour and the batter seems a little dry, add another 1-2 TBSP milk.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: kitchen sink muffins, gluten free morning glory muffins