- 1 cup + 2 TBSP Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp espresso powder (instant coffee), see notes
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and grease muffin pan, or use liners; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine dry ingredients – flour, cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk together applesauce, maple syrup, oil and granulated sugar until smooth. Whisk in eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to bowl of wet ingredients, stirring together gently until almost combined then fold in chocolate chips. Make sure there are no lumpy or dry spots in batter.
- Evenly distribute batter into muffin pan, filling about 3/4 way full. Top with more chocolate chips if you’d like.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425ºF, then drop oven temperature down to 350ºF and continue baking for another 9-12 minutes, or until inserted toothpick in center comes out clean (no wet batter).
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
instant coffee – you can omit if you don’t have on hand but it does give the chocolate flavor a boost.
granulated sugar – the additional sugar here helps give these muffins the right amount of sweetness. If you leave out, the muffins will still be a little bitter. If you think you prefer a sweeter muffin, add up to 1/2 cup.
STORING: keep muffins in airtight container at room temperature; best enjoyed within 3 days.
FREEZING: tightly wrap and store muffins in the freezer, up to 1 month. Thaw in fridge or at room temperature.