- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp all spice
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1/3 cup oil (avocado, sunflower, melted & cooled coconut)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (see notes)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup packed grated carrots
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and line muffin pan with cups or spray lightly with oil; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla.
- Begin adding about half of the dry ingredients to the large bowl of wet ingredients; stir a few times then add in the rest of the dry ingredients and milk, slowly stirring then fold in grated carrots and chopped walnuts.
- Evenly distribute batter into prepared muffin pan, filling about 3/4 way full. Bake at 425ºF for 5 minutes, then drop oven temp to 350ºF and continue baking for 10-15 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out with little to no crumbs (no wet batter).
- Allow muffins to rest in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Muffins best stored in airtight container at room temperature, enjoyed within 3-4 days.
See more notes in post regarding FAQs.
FLOUR – You can all whole wheat white with similar results. You can also sub half whole wheat, half all purpose. If using only all-purpose, you will probably need an additional 3 tablespoons of flour.
TO MAKE VEGAN – replace the 2 eggs by using 2 tablespoons of milled flaxseed mixed with 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon water. Allow the mixture to thicken for about 4-5 minutes. Then mix in with wet ingredients.
SWEETENER – These muffins are not super sweet, but taste testers liked them as is. If you think you want a slightly sweeter muffin, add 1/4 cup brown sugar to wet ingredients when mixing.
The glaze is just melted coconut butter. Warm up the jar of coconut butter and drizzle over muffins as desired. The coconut butter will set once completely cool.
- Serving Size: 1/12
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 5g