Healthier Monster Cookies for those peanut butter m&m cookie lovers! Lightened up flourless peanut butter cookies made with oats, chocolate chips and m&ms – gluten-free friendly.
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free quick oats*
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter**
- 1/4 cup butter***, softened
- 1/3 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup m&ms (plus more for topping if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside
- In medium bowl combine oats, baking soda and salt.
- In large bowl of stand mixer or using electric hand mixer, beat together peanut butter and sugar for about 1 minute. Scrap down sides of bowl then beat in softened butter for another 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Add in egg and vanilla; beat slowly until combined – scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add in bowl of dry ingredients beating on low speed until combined; mixture will be thick, not too soft like “normal” cookie dough.
- Add in mini chocolate chips and m&s; use large wooden spoon or rubber spatula to gently fold in, being careful not to break m&ms.
- Using medium cookie scoop (about 1.5 tablespoons) scoop dough and drop onto cookie sheet spacing evenly, shaping into even circle and flattening slightly with palm of hand (see pictures in post). Add more m&ms to tops of cookies if desired. These cookies won’t spread much, so you want to flatten them slightly.
- Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
- Enjoy with your favorite person!
*I tested these with both quick oats and rolled oats. While both worked okay, the quick oats held the cookies together slightly better. The pictures are shown with rolled oats but I would recommend quick oats for the best results. However if you only have rolled oats on hand, you can use those. OR pulse them *slightly* to break them up.
**I used a natural peanut butter with just peanuts and salt for the ingredients. If you choose to use a creamy peanuit butter (i.e. JIF) that should also work.
***I did NOT test these with coconut oil, but it will likely work – just make sure oil is softened and you may need to cream longer with peanut butter and sugar. Let me know if you try!
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Healthier Monster Cookies, m&m cookies, healthier cookie recipe