- 1/3 cup oil or vegan butter*
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (regular size)
- 1 cup coconut sugar or dry sweetener or choice
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup applesauce**
- 1/2 TBS vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup 1:1 gluten-free flour, or whole wheat white flour***
- 1/3 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In small pot over low-medium heat, melt together oil (or butter) with chocolate chips, whisking until smooth.
- In large bowl using electric mixer beat together melted chocolate-oil with sugar, about 1 minute. Add in eggs one at a time, beating on medium speed for about 1 minute total. Add in applesauce and vanilla, mixing on low until smooth.
- Gently add in cocoa powder, baking powder and salt mixing on low speed or using spatula to combine. Then stir in flour until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan; bake for 20-25 minutes, or until middle has set. Mine took about 22 minutes in 8×8 pan, and closer to 20 minutes in 9×9 pan.
- Allow brownies to cool at least 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cut into 16 squares using large, sharp knife. Enjoy!
SUBSTITUTIONS *I tested with both oil and butter, with little noticeable difference. You can use any neutral baking oil, olive oil or coconut oil also works. If using coconut oil, be sure to make sure the rest of your ingredients are room temperature.
**Pureed banana will also work here but the flavor does come through slightly.
***Tested with both 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free flour and whole wheat white. You should also be fine to do half whole wheat, half all-purpose.
– Store brownies in covered container at room temperature about 2-3 days, or covered in fridge about 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 1/16th
- Calories: 182
- Sugar: 18
- Sodium: 56mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 23mg