Make sure to place butter and/or shortening in freezer for about 1 hour prior to cutting into cubes.
- Prepare the pie crust: Cut frozen butter or shortening into 1/2 ” cubes and set aside. In small bowl, add ice cubes to water; set aside. In large bowl or food processor combine flour and salt. Cut in the extra cold butter and shortening into flour mixture using S-blade of food processor, or dough blender if mixing by hand; combine until small pieces of butter remain. Slowly add about 5 tablespoons of ice water, using wooden spoon or processor to combine. Add apple cider vinegar and continue adding ice water until dough comes together. I used 12 tablespoons of water for the whole wheat pastry flour dough. Shape dough into round disc, then cut in half and reshape into disc; wrap the discs tightly in plastic wrap or parchment paper and place back in fridge for 2 hours before rolling out. You must chill the dough for 2 hours to prevent crust from falling.
- Prepare the apple pie filling: Peel and core apples, cut down half of apple then place flat side down and cut into 1/4″ slices. I stored my peeled apples in a bowl of lemon water, then continued with slicing. You will need about 6 cups of apples. Toss with brown sugar, tapioca flour or cornstarch, cinnamon, vanilla and lemon juice; set aside for 20-3o minutes. Preheat oven to 400ºF while the apples sit.
- Roll out the chilled dough: Sprinkle flour on flat surface and place one disc down and sprinkle top of disc as well. (Leave other disc in fridge for now.) Gently roll out pie dough, doing quarter turns after each roll (sprinkling more flour as necessary) until you have a 12″ circle. Fold the pie dough in half, then again creating a triangle to move the dough to the pie dish. Unfold the dough and press into pie plate and up sides. Crimp sides of dough with knuckle and pinch with forefinger and thumb.
- Add the filling: Take apple slices and start placing round side of apple against edge of pie plate, working your way in with one layer then adding the next layer. Spoon about 2 tablespoon of the leftover juices over filling.
- Make the lattice crust: Roll out second disc on floured surface, using quarter turn method until you get a 12″ circle. Using pizza cutter, slice dough into 1/2″ pieces and start placing on top of pie dish, creating lattice design; tuck or pinch dough together for crust edge. Alternatively you could place entire piece of dough over top of dish, trim edge and crimp together and cut 1″ slits in top (make sure you cut slits to release steam).
- Bake: Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Place pie dish on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes uncovered at 400ºF. Then cover pie with foil or edges with pie shield, drop oven temperature down to 375ºF and continue baking for 30-35 minutes – crust should be golden and apples look soft.
- Cool: Remove pie from oven and allow to cool completely – about 3-4 hours. Pie can be wrapped tightly and stored at room temperature 1 day ahead. Pie crust can be prepared and stored in fridge up to five days ahead. Leftovers are best kept in fridge.