Easy Golden Milk Overnight Oats. Inspired by the superfoods turmeric latte but turned into a healthy meal prep breakfast! Vegan and gluten free.
I’ve found my new favorite quick breakfast: GOLDEN MILK OVERNIGHT OATS.
The coziness of a “Golden Milk” turmeric latte combined with oats for a simple breakfast. You can enjoy these overnight oats cold from the fridge, which makes for a great meal prep quick breakfast.
OR easily enjoy warmed up with just a few minutes on the stovetop.
If you’re not sure of turmeric but love cozy spices (think similar to a chai latte) you’ll love this recipe!
What is Golden Milk?
Are you familiar with this super healthy drink? Golden milk, or turmeric milk, originally comes from India. Turmeric has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries and has anti-inflammatory properties, thanks to the main active ingredient in turmeric, which is curcumin.
You may have seen westernized versions of golden milk at coffee shops. Usually they’re a combination of coconut milk (or another dairy free milk), turmeric and spices (like cinnamon and ginger), coconut oil, and traces of black pepper. Why black pepper? It is said it increases your body’s ability to absorb the nutrients from turmeric.
What makes golden milk so special?
- Turmeric – contains curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Cinnamon – is also said to be great for inflammation, among other things.
- Coconut oil – (and milk) contains very healthy fats with MCTs (medium-chaintriglycerides) which can actually increase fat burning compared to fats with long-chain triglycerides..
- Black Pepper – helps the body to absorb the curcumin.
And it tastes delicious!
Golden Milk Overnight Oats in 2 Steps
First Warm Up Milk + Spices
You first warm up the spices and milk together to make the golden milk. Whisk in the spices into the milk as it’s heating up, then the coconut oil and sweetener. This will help give the golden milk more flavor.
Then Combine with Oats + Chia Seeds
Once you warm up the golden milk on the stove, all that’s left to do is mix in the milk, oats and chia seeds in a jar and let the mixture soak in the fridge overnight.
You can enjoy this recipe cold straight from the fridge, which makes this breakfast a great meal prep option for busy mornings, OR if you prefer warm oats, you can reheat on the stovetop in a few minutes by addings a few splashes of milk and stir while it heats.
Add Your Toppings
I love to top off oatmeal with extra toppings like blueberries, nut butter and some hemp hearts.
It makes for a super hearty breakfast that can keep you full for hours.
What Kind of Oats to Use
The original recipe calls for steel cut oats, which gives this oatmeal a chewy texture. I love steel cut overnight oats.
If you’re looking to make these golden milk oats with quick oats or rolled oats, I would increases the amount of oats to 3/4 cup, and then also increase the coconut milk to 1 1/2 cups.
More Turmeric Recipes
- Golden Milk Turmeric Latte
- Golden Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter Cups
- Turmeric Cashew Butter Cookies
- Cinnamon Turmeric Super Seed Energy Bars
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! Please leave a comment and rating below. It helps the recipe reach more people and helps Fit Mitten Kitchen out a ton too! Xx AshleyPrint
Easy Golden Milk Overnight Oats
Easy Golden Milk Overnight Oats. A super healthy drink turned into a quick grab-n-go filling breakfast! This meal has healthy fats, good carbs, fiber and protein. Plus anti-inflammatory affects thanks to turmeric. Vegan and gluten-free friendly.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Refrigerator
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk*
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- maple syrup, agave syrup or honey, to taste (I used about 1 tablespoon)
for the oats
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Make Golden Milk: In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, whisk together milk and spices until warm. Add in sweetener and coconut oil. Whisk again until honey is dissolved. Do not let mixture come to a boil. Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Make Overnight Oats: In a 16 ounce jar, add oats, chia seeds, and optional add-ins if using. Pour cooled golden milk mixture into jar and tightly cover with lid. Shake jar until ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Store in fridge for at least 8 hours before serving.
- Serve with fresh fruit, flaked coconut, sprinkle more cinnamon, add nut butter, etc. and enjoy! If the mixture is thicker than you’d like, simply add some extra milk.
- To heat: add overnight oats to small saucepan over low heat, add a splash of milk and heat until warm.
MILK – I used coconut milk from the carton. You can also use another non-dairy milk of your choice.
OATS – This recipe was made with steel cut oats. If you’d like to use quick or rolled oats, you can use 3/4 cup rolled or quick oats with 1 ½ cups of the golden milk; refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
PROTEIN POWDER – If adding vegan protein powder, you will likely need to increase the liquid depending on the blend. I added an additional 3-4 tablespoons after adding mixing all ingredients in jar. If using whey or collagen peptides, no extra liquid is really necessary.
DOUBLE THE RECIPE – Recipe can be doubled and split into 4 individual jars, 2 (16 ounce) jars, or 1 large (32 ounce) jar and divided out how you’d like.
STORING – Oats will keep in fridge 3-4 days. Prep time refers to overnight fridge time
Nutrition based on unsweetened coconut milk and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 35
- Fat: 10
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: golden milk recipes, what is golden milk, golden milk benefits, overnight oats recipes