- 2 large beets, chopped (1/2 cup pureed)
- 4 oz quality dark chocolate* (I used a baking bar)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa)
- 3 TBS coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp pink salt (or sea salt)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (dairy-free if needed)
- In a small sauce pan, melt the 4oz of chocolate with coconut oil over low heat, stirring continuously until chocolate and coconut oil has melted together. Add in honey and stir until well combined. Remove from heat, allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8×8, or 9×9, pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add chopped beets to bowl of small food processor and process until pureed. If having a hard time processing, add 1 TBS water. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cacao powder, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk everything together until no clumps remain. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs and vanilla extract. Add your cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Next add your beet puree and whisk until combined.
- Add cacao mixture to large bowl of wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in dry ingredients until combined.
- Add in chocolate chips and gently combine.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean. A few crumbs are okay.
- Allow brownies to cool in pan for 20 minutes before cutting into 16 squares.
*You can sub 1/2 cup of Enjoy Life (or another dairy-free brand) dark chocolate morsels for the baker’s bar if a dairy-free alternative is needed. Keep brownies in airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days fresh. If keeping brownies in fridge, the beet flavor may come through slightly.
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 12
- Sodium: 102
- Fat: 19
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 16
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 23