- 6oz blueberries
- 6oz blackberries, halved
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 2 habaneros*, pith and seeds removed (see notes in blog post)
- 1 TBSP honey
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 TBSP chopped cilantro
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh mint leaves (about 4–5 leaves)
- 1 TBSP thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 tsp salt, to taste
Paleo Fish Batter
- 1 1/2 lbs thick white fish such as mahi mahi, halibut, walleye, etc. cut into 2” strips
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- avocado oil for frying
- avocados, sliced
- small taco shells
- shredded cabbage
- vegan lime crema
- Make the salsa: Add strawberries, halved blackberries, whole blueberries, diced habanero to a bowl; drizzle honey over mixture then add green onion, cilantro, mint and basil. Add lime juice and zest, plus salt to taste; stir gently and set aside.
- Prepare the fish and batter: Cut thawed fish into 2″ strips (sized to fit inside taco shells) and pat dry with paper towel. Meanwhile, heat about 2-3 cups of oil in a large, deep skillet OR enough to reach up sides of pan about 2″ high. While the oil is heating to about 360ºF (use a thermometer or a deep fryer), in a medium bowl mix together tapioca flour, baking soda, salt and garlic powder. Whisk in eggs and vinegar. Batter will seem thick and hard to stir at first, but will smooth out to a medium thickness.
- Fry the fish: Dip dried fish fillets in batter, fully coated and carefully place into skillet. You may need to turn the fish if oil is not high enough. Fry about 3 minutes each side before placing on paper towel lined bowl. Fish should reach internal temperature of 145ºF, and coating golden brown.
- Assemble the tacos: Prepare shells with shredded cabbage, top with fish, berry salsa, avocado slices and lime crema; enjoy!
*feel free to sub jalapeño peppers for the habanero peppers.
Paleo fish batter adapted from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
For the vegan lime crema, omit cilantro and garlic if you want just a simple lime cream flavor. If you don’t need a dairy-free lime crema, simply mix 1/2 cup sour cream with 1 TBSP lime juice.
For coupon savings on California Giant Berries, click here