- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour* (see notes)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and line muffin pan with paper liners, or spray with oil; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients; set aside.
- In large bowl combine well-mashed banana with maple syrup (and granulated sugar if using). Whisk in yogurt, then add eggs and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Slowly add in half of the flour. Stir gently then fold in the blueberries and rest of flour until combined. Careful not to over-mix or you’ll end up with tough muffins.
- Evenly distribute batter into prepared pan, filling about 2/3 way full. Top with more blueberries if you want some to show in the muffin tops. Top with sprinkling sugar for sweeter tops. Bake muffins at 425ºF for 5 minutes. (Baking at a high temp first gives higher muffin tops.) Then drop oven temp down to 350ºF and continue baking for 12-15 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting toothpick in center. Muffins are done when no wet batter is present on the toothpick(some crumb is okay).
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for a few minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely.
- Muffins best enjoyed within 3-4 days. Best served warm with your favorite butter or nut butter – so good!
FLOUR: This recipe was not tested with grain-free or gluten-free flours. If looking to make gluten-free, 1:1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour is your best option but I have not tested this myself. Half whole wheat, half all-purpose may be subbed with similar results.
SUGAR: You can omit the granulated sugar if you don’t need these muffins on the sweeter side. Using extra-ripe, brown bananas will give you a sweeter muffin as well. The maple syrup adds a nice amount without being overly sweet. If you want to omit the liquid sweetener, you will likely need to add 1/4 cup milk in its place.
TO MAKE DAIRY-FREE: Use plant-based greek yogurt (just make sure it’s thicker and not super drippy).
TO MAKE EGG-FREE: Use 2 TBSP flaxseed meal mixed with 6 TBSP water; sit 5-10 minutes until gel forms. Add in as instructed. (I did not test this yet but it should work, as it does with most of my other muffins.)
Nutrition information approximate. Calculated without additional granulated sugar.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 123
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g