- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt*
- 1.5 sticks unsalted butter (3/4 cup), softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chip
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line large baking sheet with parchment paper; set side.
- In a medium bowl combine flours, baking soda and salt (see notes about flour); set aside.
- In large bowl of stand mixer or using electric hand mixer, beat softened butter for about 30 seconds on medium speed. Add in brown sugar and white sugar, beating on medium speed for about 30 seconds then increasing speed to medium-high for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add in egg and vanilla, mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add about half of the flour to mixing bowl, using sturdy spatula or spoon to gently mix and then start to incorporate using mixer on low speed. Add in the remaining flour, continuing to mix on low speed until almost combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and chocolate chunks into cookie dough batter.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, making sure dough is packed, evenly distribue cookie dough onto lined baking sheet, spacing in rows of three and alternating with rows of two. Styling tip:press extra chocolate chips into top of cookies before baking.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, until edges are lightly golden. For softer cookies, check at 8 minutes and allow cookies to rest on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. The middles may look a little soft but will set upon cooling. For crispier cookies, bake for 10 minutes. Once cookies have rested on baking sheet for about 2 minutes, use flat spatula to carefully transfer to wire rack. .
- If you’d like, top freshly baked cookies with a few more chips and flaked sea salt for extra deliciousness.
Slightly thicker cookies: If you’d like a little thicker cookie, add an additional 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
Flour: You can use only all-purpose flour, but increase to 2 full cups and increase baking soda to 1 teaspoon. You can also use all whole wheat pastry flour (1 and 3/4 cups) while keeping baking soda the same as in recipe card.
Salt: make sure to use unsalted butter. If adding flaked sea salt, you can decrease to 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Storing: Place cookies in airtight container; best enjoyed in 2-3 days. Baked cookies freeze well – simply store in airtight container and allow to come to room temperature before enjoying.
To freeze cookie dough: scoop dough onto lined baking sheet (no need to space). Freeze lined baking sheet for 20 minutes, then transfer cookie dough to bag or container. To bake, you can add frozen cookie dough to baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven at 350ºF, bake for 10-12 minutes.