Chickpea Veggie Burgers
- oil, for cooking
- heaping ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 (15 ounce) canned chickpeas, rinsed/drained well
- 4 TBSP tahini or sunflower seed butter
- 1/2 TBSP crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro or parsley
- 3 TBSP flour (gluten-free blend, as needed)
Cashew Chipotle Aioli
- 3/4 cup raw soaked cashews in boiled water, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP chipotle adobo sauce (or 1 chipotle chili in adodo sauce)
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 TBSP avocado oil or light olive oil
- green leaf lettuce
- sliced avocado
- sliced tomato
- toasted hamburger buns (gluten-free as needed)
- Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to skillet over medium-high heat; cook down onion and garlic for about 5-7 minutes, until onions become translucent. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked onion and garlic, drained chickpeas, tahini (or sunflower butter), crushed red pepper, spices, salt and pepper and fresh herbs to large bowl; mash well with potato masher then add in flour and mash again. If using food processor – first process onion through herbs by pulsing until mixture is broken down well. Then pulse in flour until combined. Remove S-blade before taking mixture out and shaping burgers.
- Heat large cast iron skillet to medium heat; add about one tablespoon olive oil.
- While the skillet warms up, scoop about 1/2 cup of mixture to make 6 large patties, or 1/3 cup to make 8 medium burgers (size of patties could depend on what kind of bun you’re using). Place shaped patties into hot skillet and cook until dark gold on one side, about 5 minutes, before flipping to the other and cooking another 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and place in oven on “warm” function if you’d like.
- Make the cashew chipotle sauce: Make sure cashews have soaked in boiled water for 15 minutes. Add all ingredients to blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Taste test to see if you prefer more heat (add some more adobo sauce) or salt.
- Assemble burgers with favorite toppings and sauce; enjoy!
If making larger patties, you’ll end up with about 6 burgers. If you’re just cooking for one, you can use 1 can chickpeas, 2.5 TBSP tahini, 2 TBSP flour and adjust spices to your liking.
Vegan Chipotle Aioli recipe slightly adapted from Minimalist Baker.
Nutrition approximate per patty only; does not include chipotle aioli.
- Serving Size: 1/8
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 8g