1. Before you begin make sure your ice cream bowl is completely frozen, at least 12 hours, preferably 24 hours. Store it in the coldest part/back of the freezer.
2. In a medium saucepan on medium heat, combine coconut milk and vanilla. Whisk together until warm, almost hot to touch. Sprinkle in tapioca starch one tablespoon at a time, whisking thoroughly. Continue whisking mixture on medium heat for 5 minutes, until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
3. In bowl of large food processor, add drained pitted dates. Process until dates break down, then add 1-2 tablespoons of water to form paste.
4. Add cooled coconut milk to bowl of food processor with date paste and blend until smooth – about 1-2 minutes scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary. Some date pieces may remain.
5. Transfer to freezer safe bowl and chill in freezer for 2 hours. The mixture should be really cold and slightly thick before adding to the ice cream maker, but not frozen solid.
6. Once the mixture has chilled, add to the ice cream maker (follow manufacturer’s instructions) and churn mixture for 30-45 minutes.
7. In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt together the cashew butter and chocolate chips in 15-20 second increments, stirring together until smooth.
8. Transfer half of ice cream batter into a lined 8×4 or 5×7 loaf pan, drizzle in cashew butter “fudge”, then add the rest of the ice cream batter and top with more cashew butter fudge. Swirl with spoon to slightly mix in. Cover well with plastic wrap and foil. Freeze an additional 4 hours, until ice cream is more solid. 9. Your ice cream is now ready for your enjoyment!
See notes in post for “no-churn” style vs. ice cream maker.
Note: ice cream can be enjoyed without the additional freezing time, it will just be a soft-serve consistency. If you want a scoop-able ice cream, freeze covered for at least 4 hours.
- Serving Size: 1/10th
- Calories: 369
- Sugar: 24g
- Sodium: 17mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 21
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 2mg