- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts
- 10 large Medjool dates (175g)
- 2 1/2 TBSP cacao powder or unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 TBSP water
- Toast hazelnuts: Preheat oven to 325ºF. Lay out the hazelnuts in a flat layer on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow them to cool and simply rub the hazelnuts on the baking sheet and the skins should fall right off.
- Add toasted hazelnuts, soaked/drained pitted dates, cacao powder and vanilla extract to bowl of food processor. Using S-blade, process until mixture breaks down, about 1 minute. Add 1-2 TBSP of water as needed to get mixture sticky. Little tiny bits of hazelnuts can remain, but mixture should hold together when pressed. See pictures in post for visual.
- Remove S-blade and use a heaping rounded tablespoon to roll into balls. You can also press into a lined 8×8 pan if you’d like to make bars. Store in fridge, about 2 weeks. Or freeze and best used within 3-4 months.
If dipping in melted chocolate, I used about 2 ounces of chopped chocolate (then melted) per about 8 energy balls.