Soft Paleo Vegan Cookies that melt in your mouth! Made with cashew butter (or your favorite nut butter), flaxseed and just a bit of coconut flour!
Hidy Ho from Chicago! I’m hanging with blogging friends turned real life friends Jess and Erin for the weekend. WOOT. MAN does it feel good to take a little break and just have some fun this weekend. House painting, moving, work, LIFE is all catching up with me and this break could not have come at a better time. I feel like this spring season has just been crazy, anyone else?!
I mean, the fact that I may have eaten four of these vegan cookies while photographing them kind of has to do with stress… Not an exaggeration. I mean they are smaller so I suppose if I were going to make myself feel better about the situation, I could equate four smaller cookies to two regular cookies and that is pretty normal… Right? Just agree.
I typically have some pretty good self control but these days I have been a little all over the place. And that is okay, I’m not worried about it. I’m not trying to get in more exercise or ban cookies for a week–F that shi. Those days are long gone. Do I try to get more greens in throughout the day then? Yes. Drink more water? Yes. Restrict certain foods? NOPE. A few years ago I would have likely forced myself to get in a workout and not eat any more sweets for the rest of the week. Fortunately we’re past that. And I hope most of you are too. What I am trying to say is life is too short to worry about those things. And when you’re in the thick of it, it is hard to realize that there is another way to function–I do get that. But I think it’s great there is this movement around wellness and feeling good from within, but also remember that looks different for everyone. The more you consume all of this information on the internet and social media, the easier it is to compare what you’re doing to what everyone else is doing. I’m sure we’ve all been there. Having that self-awareness plays a huge role in being able to catch yourself comparing, as well as just telling yourself that what you’re doing is good enough. And you are good enough in this very moment.
ANYWAYS… On to these paleo vegan cookies!
I took my Turmeric Chocolate Chunk Cashew Butter Cookies and modified the recipe to make a vegan-friendly version for you all! They’re like little cashew butter bites of goodness and I hope you love them! They even passed the test from Erin’s husband, which I hear is a good thing.
What you need
- flaxseed “egg”
- favorite creamy nut butter (nothing added)
- coconut oil
- coconut sugar
- coconut flour
- baking soda
This recipe is super easy too. Just one bowl is needed, mixing the ingredients together by hand. And because these cookies are egg-free, you just need to bake them for about 5-6 minutes, and let them cool on the pan for another few minutes before removing. The cookies will feel slightly doughy but that is alright because there are no eggs! And while you could *technically* eat the dough… then you wouldn’t get melty pockets of chocolate…
- 1 1/2 TBS milled flaxseed + 1/4 cup water*
- 1 cup favorite creamy, all natural nut or seed butter (I used homemade cashew almond blend)
- 1 TBS coconut oil**, softened
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 TBS coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2oz dairy-free dark chocolate chunks
- In a small bowl mix together the milled flaxseed and water. Let sit for 5 minutes to until gel-like consistency.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together cashew butter, softened coconut oil and coconut sugar until well mixed. Add in flaxseed “egg” and vanilla and mix again until thoroughly combined.
- Sprinkle the coconut flour, baking soda, and salt evenly over dough. Use large spatula or spoon to fully combine. Dough should be thick and slightly oily. Gently fold in chopped chocolate chunks.
- Using tablespoon, scoop dough into round shape, pressing in chocolate chunks as needed. Place on baking sheet and gently flatten with palm of hand. Evenly space cookies about two inches apart. Bake for 5-7 minutes. Careful not to over-bake or cookies will dry out. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Cookies may feel slightly doughy, but since there is no egg this is okay! 🙂
*can sub 1 egg if not vegan
**can sub butter if not vegan
I stored my cookies in the fridge and they made the best cold treat!
Recipe adapted from my Turmeric Cashew Butter Cookies. If looking for another option to use egg and/or butter you can use this recipe and omit the turmeric if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/14th
- Calories: 146
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 126mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg