- ½ tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- About 3 cups shredded chicken breast (rotisserie or cook your own)
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips or quarters
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium black beans, drained/rinsed
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shreds
- Add oil to 10” medium cast iron skillet – add onion, garlic, cumin and coriander; cook about 4-5 minutes then transfer to bowl and remove skillet from heat.
- In that bowl, add ¼ cup water, enchilada sauce, sour cream – stir until combined then fold in chicken, beans and tortillas until coated.
- Transfer mixture back to skillet, top with cheese and heat through on stove for about 4-5 minutes. Then place skillet in oven using broiler set at 400ºF, and melt cheese (about 5 minutes).
- Serve with more sour cream, avocado and cilantro if desired and dig in!
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, simply cook the onions and garlic in whatever skillet you have, then you can combine everything and place in a casserole dish for broiling.
Store leftovers in covered container; best enjoyed within 3 days.