- 2.5 cups raw almonds
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp pure almond or vanilla extract (optional, but makes for great flavor!)
- Preheat oven to 325F and place raw almonds and cashews on a large baking sheet. Spread evenly in one layer and toast for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let nuts cool on pan for 5 minutes.
- Place slightly cooled nuts in bowl of food processor and cover with lid. Process for about 5 minutes, until nuts have almost completely broken down. With the motor still running, add your chai spices through the feeding tube, and process for about 5 more minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl periodically if necessary.
- Once your nuts have turned into a slightly creamy consistency (approx. 10 minutes), with the motor running, add 2 tsp of coconut oil and almond extract (if using) and process the almond cashew butter for another 5 minutes, or until desired consistency.
- Transfer Chai Spiced Almond Cashew Butter into jar with lid and store at room temperature* or in fridge.
-I have a 12 cup Breville food processor, and 4 cups of nuts allowed me just enough to have the blades work properly, while still having to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times. I wouldn’t recommend using less than 3.5-4 cups in a 12 cup bowl, or you may not achieve a creamy consistency in the end.
*I have read on ways to keep nut butters, and looked at different brands’ labels on how to store, and there is no right or wrong way. I personally keep mine in the pantry at room temperature, but they can also be stored in the fridge.
-prep time refers to oven time for toasting
-cook time refers to time in processor