- 2 (14 ounce) cans young jackfruit
- vegan BBQ sauce (I used Kansas City style from Whole Foods)
- 2 cups power greens coleslaw blend (I used this)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup boiled water
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt, to taste
- buns (vegan or gluten free, as needed)
- avocado slices
- Prepare jackfruit: strain, rinse and pat dry the canned jackfruit. Remove the cores and begin shredding the soft centers (you can keep the pod-like centers if they’re small or discard large ones). Once all shredded, pat dry again.
- Add shredded jackfruit into skillet, sprinkle on seasoning plus salt and pepper. Stir to coat and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add in 2/3 cup barbecue sauce, stir to coat, then add in 1/2 cup water stirring until evenly mixed. Bring mixture to a simmer and continue cooking for 2o minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make the vegan coleslaw: Add cashews and boiled water to a small bowl; let sit for 5 minutes. In a blender cup add garlic clove, lemon juice, salt, coconut aminos, maple syrup, and boiled cashews (plus water). Blend until creamy and smooth, then pour over coleslaw blend mix.
- Once the BBQ jackfruit has simmered, you’re ready to assemble your sandwiches. Topped with coleslaw and avocado is my favorite way to enjoy these, but the BBQ jackfruit recipe works in tacos, stuffed sweet potatoes or power bowls too.
- Store any leftovers in fridge, enjoy in 4-5 days.