- 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 large ripe avocado
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (from 1 small lemon)
- 3 tablespoons water, plus more if necessary
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese*
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- Use a julienne peeler, mandolin or spiralizer and spiralize the zucchini into noodles. Add noodles to a large bowl.
- Add basil, avocado, garlic, pine nuts and lemon juice to a food processor and pulse for 20 seconds or until pesto is chopped. Add in water and process again until completely smooth. You may need to add more water to get it to your desired consistency; I like mine a little on the thicker side. Transfer to a bowl with the zucchini noodles and toss the noodles until they are well coated.
- Top with tomatoes and fresh parmesan, if desired. Serve room temperature or chilled.
- Store in an airtight container or sealed mason jar and refrigerate. Pesto is best if used within a few days, otherwise you can freeze it for several months.
*leave out parmesan for paleo/whole30/dairy-free version
- Serving Size: 1/2
- Calories: 367
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 859mg
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 10
- Unsaturated Fat: 13g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 23
- Cholesterol: 36mg