- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or 3oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup creamy almond butter1 (drippy is best)
- 1/4 cup oil (such as avocado, sunflower, etc.)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar2
- 2 large eggs3 (see notes for vegan)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBS 1:1 gluten-free flour all-purpose flour or whole wheat white flour4 (see notes for paleo)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- If making brownie bites, preheat oven to 325ºF and spray 24 mini muffin pan. If making square brownies, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray or line 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In small saucepan over low-medium heat, melt chocolate chips stirring continuously until smooth. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In large bowl using electric mixer, cream together almond butter and oil. Add sugar, mixing until smooth for about 1-2 minutes, then add in melted chocolate mixing again until smooth.
- Add in eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Mix on medium speed until eggs are thoroughly combined – mixture will start to get thick and a little sticky here.
- Add in unsweetened cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt. Use large sturdy spatula to combine before using electric mixer on medium speed. Make sure to go slow or dry ingredients will end up everywhere.
- Transfer batter into prepared baking pan – about 1 heaping tablespoon of batter per mini muffin cup. OR press evenly into corners of square pan.
- For mini muffin pan bake brownies for 8-9 minutes – tops will puff up slightly. For square baking pan bake brownies for 10-12 minutes, until edges have risen. Middle may look underdone but will set upon cooling.
- Allow mini brownies to cool in pan about 5 minutes before gently removing – I use a toothpick. Let square pan cool for at least 15 minutes, if not longer. Enjoy!
1 can sub another nut or seed butter – I recommend cashew or even tahini.
2 feel free to sub another granulated sweetener. Also tested with 1/2 cup coconut sugar if you’d like less sugar
3 to make vegan: mix 2 tablespoons flaxseed + 5 TBS water; let sit for 4-5 minutes before adding into batter
4 to make paleo: sub the whole grain flour for 3/4 cup almond or cashew flour. Did not test with coconut flour.
- Serving Size: 1/24th
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 60
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 23