for the chocolate:
for the filling:
- 1/4 cup pure coconut butter*
- 1 TBS grade b maple syrup**
- 1/2 heaping TBS matcha green tea (use 1 TBS if you LOVE matcha and want flavor to come through)
- Line mini muffin pan with 12 paper liners***, set aside.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave for 15 seconds at a time, about 1 minute total, stirring in between until chips have completely melted. (You can also melt in a small saucepan on stove over low heat, or a double boiler. Just be careful not to burn your chips whichever method you prefer!)
- Scoop about ½ tablespoon of melted chocolate into 12 muffin liners. Transfer pan to freezer and allow chocolate to set for 5 minutes.
- While bottom chocolate layer sets, make your filling: In a small bowl, microwave coconut butter until slightly melted, about 15-20 seconds. Stir in your matcha powder and maple syrup, until matcha is evenly mixed. Set aside.
- Take muffin pan out of freezer. Using ½ teaspoon, scoop a rounded ball of matcha coconut butter (equal to about 1 tsp) and place on solid chocolate. Gently press butter down a little bit with back of teaspoon to flatten. Cover in more melted chocolate, about another ½ tablespoon. Transfer pan back to freezer for another 5 minutes until set.
- I like to store my chocolate cups in the fridge, then allow to come to room temperature before eating. Enjoy!
*I followed The Balanced Berry’s recipe/tutorial and made coconut butter in my NutriBullet, like she did. Super easy and inexpensive compared to buying it pre-made!
**The coconut butter is sweet by itself, so you may or may not need the maple syrup to sweeten, depending on your taste buds. You can also add a full tablespoon of matcha if you want more matcha flavor. Taster’s choice!
***If following instructions using specified measurements, you should get 12 mini cups. If you want a few more cups, just use less chocolate in the bottom layer. I’ve made this recipe countless times and if I just use a little less chocolate in the first layer, I tend to get about 16 cups.
- Serving Size: 1 mini cup