for the chocolate
- 10oz bag dairy-free dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
for the filling
- 1/4 cup pure coconut butter*
- 1 TBS pure maple syrup**
- 1/2 heaping TBS matcha green tea
- Line mini muffin pan with 12 paper liners; set aside.
- Melt chocolate: Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil on half power in microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between until chips have completely melted. (Or use stovetop.)
- Make your filling: In a small bowl, microwave coconut butter until slightly melted, about 15-20 seconds. Stir in your matcha powder and maple syrup, until matcha is evenly mixed.
- Make the cups: Scoop about ½ tablespoon of melted chocolate into 12 muffin liners. Next, using ½ round teaspoon, scoop a rounded ball of matcha coconut butter (equal to about 1 tsp) and place on the chocolate layer. Finally, cover in more melted chocolate, about another ½ tablespoon.
- Place pan in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes, or until set chocolate cups have set.
- Store cups in fridge until ready to enjoy.
*I followed The Balanced Berry’s recipe/tutorial and made coconut butter in my NutriBullet. Super easy and inexpensive compared to buying it pre-made!
**The coconut butter is sweet by itself, so you may or may not need the maple syrup to sweeten, depending on your taste buds. You can also add a full tablespoon of matcha if you want more matcha flavor. Taster’s choice!
If following instructions using specified measurements, you should get 12 mini cups. If you want a few more cups, just use less chocolate in the layers and smaller scoops of matcha filling. I’ve made this recipe countless times and if I just use a little less chocolate and filling, I tend to get about 16 cups.
- Serving Size: 1 mini cup
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 2mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0