Bust out those waffle makers for this Sweet Potato Waffle Breakfast Sandwich. Five simple ingredients combined for one epic paleo sandwich. Whole30 compliant too!
Oh man oh MAN you guys. This waffle breakfast sandwich is just so good. I was feeling really good about it, until I started thinking that maybe I was committing a Whole30 crime…
I am not entirely sure if I am “breaking the rules” with this one while doing the Whole30–also known as SWYPO (sex with your pants on)… hmmm. I mean I feel like there are some gray areas in that clause, you know? Because to me, it seems as though there are many other dishes/meals that could fall under that category. Like homemade Whole30 chicken nuggets for example… Or eating dates with nut butter to get your “fix”–yeah I have definitely done that. Basically on Day 4 when I was like “What the heck am I doing? This is ludicrous…”
Or am I over-thinking it? (Probably, I am a chronic over-thinker…) Like I explained in my post “Why I am Doing a Whole30”, I have jumped on this journey for a challenge, and mainly to see if eating whole foods with no added sugar (and other junk) can help some inflammation in my system, possibly balance my hormones, help my skin, etc. But without going into too much more detail on my Whole30 thoughts (that’s for another time) I feel like this waffle sandwich is alright… Or at least on my Whole30 journey it is alright. Maybe for someone else it will take them back to when they’d stop for McGriddles, causing some bad feelings around food. But for me, this is basically the same thing as having sautéed sweet potatoes and kale in a pan with my egg and avocado. I just needed to add some creativity to this go-to meal I eat all the time as to not get bored with it so I don’t end up crave something less “healthy” or more sugar or what have you.
Alright, we’ve come full circle! Paleo Sweet Potato Waffle Breakfast Sandwich it is–let’s chat about it!
What you need
To make the sweet potato waffle, it’s not technically a normal waffle with all of the ingredients that would be considered SWYPO. It’s actually just grated sweet potato, a whisked egg, and some oil. That’s it! We’re not going full-on waffle style but making more of a waffle hash brown style, ya feel?
You then just pack all of the grated sweet potato in your waffle iron and cook until browned. While that is cooking, you can sauté your kale, fry your egg and slice up a little bit of avocado.
It’s quite simple really. This meal would make a great “brinner” (breakfast for dinner) or a fun weekend breakfast/brunch. It’s so satisfying thanks to the good carbs, protein, plus the healthy fats from the egg and avocado. This meal definitely keeps me full!
- Grease the waffle iron really well so you don’t have pieces stuck when removing the waffle.
- You will be packing the sweet potato hash into the waffle iron pretty thick. Don’t press down on the waffle iron so hard that your pieces end up getting stuck. I may or may not have had to test this process a couple of times, so trust me when I say this!
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 small/medium sweet potato, grated
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp oil, plus more for waffle iron and frying pan
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- ½ medium avocado, sliced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat waffle iron and grease well. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk 1 egg (or egg whites). Add in grated sweet potato–should be around a heaping cup–plus seasonings and 1 tsp oil. Mix well until thoroughly combined. Once waffle iron has fully heated, pack in sweet potato hash mixture into iron, covering all of the quadrants. Press waffle iron down gently and allow sweet potato to cook about 4-5 minutes, until lightly golden.
- While the waffle is cooking saute kale in pan with oil on medium heat until slightly crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Fry or scramble egg in same pan (remove kale or keep in, your choice) to personal preference.
- Once sweet potato waffle is ready gently remove with butter knife and transfer to plate. Layer on kale, fried egg, and avocado slices. Finish with salt and pepper if you wish and enjoy!
I hope you guys love this amazing breakfast sandwich as much as I do! I have a feeling this will be a weekend staple in our house…
If you try this recipe (or anything from the blog!) don’t forget to tag me so I can see! #fitmittenkitchen
Instagram : @fitmittenkitchen
Facebook : Fit Mitten Kitchen
Twitter : @fitmittenkitch
Pinterest : Fit Mitten Kitchen