Lots of flavor in this Slow Cooker Vegan Enchilada Quinoa Chili. You won’t miss the meat in this thick and hearty plant-based meal, plus it’s gluten-free!
I’ve been making different versions of this enchilada quinoa chili for the past couple of years, and I thought it was about time I share one of my go-to slow cooker meals with you.
But first, story time: I contemplated for quite a while whether or not to put this recipe up on the blog. Why? Because there are so many quinoa chili recipes out there I thought “Is it really necessary to post another?” … Well, funny enough Davida shared not only her same thoughts on the matter but also a quinoa chili recipe! So even though I already had this recipe prepared by the time I read Davida’s post, it just solidified the fact that I was meant to share it with you all along, don’t you think? Funny how life works…
So here we are with likely the 439th quinoa chili recipe, Fit Mitten Kitchen style.
But for REAL, I love this enchilada quinoa chili. I actually have this particular recipe to thank for introducing me to a sweet potato and black bean chili in the first place, which eventually morphed into what we have here today.
what you need
canned black beans
canned diced tomatoes
Oh yeah… I always make my own enchilada sauce too because
1) it’s REALLY easy
2) it’s CHEAPER than buying it
3) you control the FLAVOR and ingredients
All you need for the enchilada sauce is a little bit of flour, oil, tomato paste, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper and water. Basically everything you already have on hand in your pantry and you’ve got enchilada sauce in under 10 minutes. You can make the sauce while you prep the veggies 😉
Once the sauce is ready you just mix all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on high for about 3-4 hours.
Then of course you top with avocado, some cilantro and maybe some nutritional yeast if you’re feeling extra fancy. Or maybe some cheese if not dairy-free or vegan. I do either-or sometimes, depending on the day and what I’m feeling like 🙂
Note: This recipe makes a hefty batch and will serve a large crowd. We froze about half of it, being just Drew and I, and we enjoyed the (unfrozen) leftovers all week!
- 4 cups chopped sweet potato, about 3 medium
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 15oz canned low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 4 cups enchilada sauce
- ½ cup water
- juice of 1 lime
- toppings: avocado, cilantro, nutritional yeast, tortilla chips, etc.
- Have your enchilada sauce and veggies prepped.
- In slow cooker, add sweet potatoes, bell pepper, onion, black beans, diced tomatoes with juice, corn and garlic. Sprinkle in seasonings and stir until ingredients are combined.
- Add in quinoa, enchilada sauce, water, and lime if using. Stir together until ingredients are evenly dispersed in slow cooker.
- Cook chili on high for 3-4 hours until sweet potatoes are soft. Serve in bowls and add on favorite toppings, enjoy!
-Chili should serve about 12-16 medium-small bowls as written. Store leftovers in fridge up to one week, or transfer to airtight container and store in freezer, up to 3 months.
making something from FMK? Tag me so I can have a looksee …
I LOVE seeing what you’ve made.
Facebook: Fit Mitten Kitchen
Pinterest: [Ashley] Fit Mitten Kitchen