Who doesn’t love a good simple salad and all the green goddess dressing? This homemade avocado-based dressing and salad recipe is vegan, paleo, and Whole30! Add your favorite lean protein for a great lunch option.
Ending the first week of the 2017 year with so much good stuff! Drew and I have been taking more steps to start the official house hunt, The Food Entrepreneur Summit has been packed with loads of good stuff, and I got up for two 6am classes at FLEXcity–and an 8am on New Year’s Day 😉 HOLLA.
Oh! And we’re on day five of my first Whole30! Which I’ll be honest with you all…I really want some effing chocolate. Like, really. I’m totally starting to question what the heck it is that I have gotten myself into… Meal prep has been great and I am enjoying what I have made for various meals but I just really would love a damn piece of chocolate. *sigh*
Maybe I should read the book that actually goes along with Whole30 (It Starts with Food) so I can better wrap my head around this beast… I’ve read various articles and posts on the Whole30 website but I would likely get more out reading the book. And I’m sure what I am feeling is normal (i.e. my anger towards not being able to have chocolate…err, I hope that’s normal?) but any advice from veteran Whole30 peeps would be greatly appreciated 😉
Whole30 means more meals for YOU here on the blog. So that’s good right? I always strive to bring you more meals each year but then I just have so much fun baking… and taste testing… Okay, so maybe this challenge is a good thing.
Salads and homemade dressings have always been my jam but I end up using maple syrup in my recipes because most of the dressings I have are balsamic vinegar based–to cut the vinegar with a little bit of sweet is kind of needed. Yes, I love balsamic dressings the best… But to bring something different to the table I thought I’d go for a green goddess dressing! I always love when I see a green goddess dressing salad when going out to eat, so I thought it was about time I share one with you all here.
As long as you have a small food processor or blender, you can whip this homemade dressing up in minutes.
For the dressing
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
Just blend all the ingredients til smooth and your green goddess dressing is ready for action.
Then for the salad it’s just some massaged kale leaves (yes, massaged…) spinach, cherry tomatoes and I tossed on some hemp hearts for fun. Of course you could also use any greens you have on hand, but the dark leafy greens hold the most nutrients like iron, magnesium, vitamin A, C and K.
This salad would make a great dish to bring to gatherings, a nice side salad with dinner, or it makes for a great lunch option when paired with your favorite lean protein.
- For the Salad
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups chopped kale, massaged with olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 TBS hemp hearts
- Green Goddess Dressing
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ medium avocados (or 2 small), pitted and fleshed
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves (a small handful)
- 2 TBS tahini
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp pink salt, to taste
- Toss spinach and kale in large bowl, top with cherry tomatoes and hemp hearts. Set aside.
- In a small blender or food processor add all of your dressing ingredients–if using a NutriBullet it helps if you add the ingredients in the order above–and process until smooth. Dressing is pretty thick, so if you want it thinner you can add more water 1-2 tablespoons at a time.
- Toss dressing with salad, or serve individually. Enjoy!
- For my Whole30 peeps, how are you doing?! Talk to me!
- How is your 2017 so far?