These Gluten-Free Beet Brownies are dense and packed with chocolate, you’d never guess there are beets in them! You’ll surprise everyone with these good-for-you brownies. Paleo-friendly if using dairy-free chocolate!
YOU GUYS. Let’s just get right to it >>>
I PUT BEETS IN BROWNIES.
Now, before I go on, I’m not some creative genius and am certainly not the first person to put beets in baked goods. As odd as it may sound to some of you, there are plenty of recipes out there. Muffins, bars, and more brownies.
But I was on a mission to make these gluten-free, grain-free and super tasty. I’m not going to lie to you, I was actually rather skeptical throughout the whole process. And I like beets, but I didn’t want my brownies to actually taste like them.
[Tweet “We’re putting beets in our brownies. And it is going to be epic. “]
After eating two (in the middle of shooting, I might add) and my husband asking for another almost immediately… I think it’s safe to say MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. I then shared the last few with some friends. They didn’t even know there were beets in them. <happy dance. I win>
Ugh, you guys. Nothing makes me happier than #killinit on a healthy dessert recipe like this one. And then being able to share it with you all. BEST THING EVER. I seriously do find so much joy in sharing healthy recipes (that taste good) with you all, and inspiring healthy living through nutritious food and sweating it up. I’m hoping that by posting this recipe, I am showing you that eating healthy does not have to mean flavorless, boring, plain salads and no treats. If you’ve taken a look around the blog here, you’ll see I am all about the treats (and colorful salads). Plus I just love baking and eating massive salads, truthfully. Since shifting towards a more whole-foods, less processed diet, it has forced me to get creative in the kitchen, especially when it comes to baking. Again, not to say I don’t alternate between some of the traditional ingredients (like these cookies). But I’ve enjoyed finding healthier alternatives to incorporate into my treats.
These beet brownies use mainly melted chocolate, cacao powder, and just a bit of coconut flour for the base which keeps them both grain-free and gluten-free. They’re a cross between a fudgey and dense cakey brownie, but not airy or cake-like at all. They’re kind of delicious… Just trust me.
[Tweet “BEETS in my brownies?! Say what? Just say yes. #glutenfree #grainfree”]
- 2 large beets, chopped (1/2 cup pureed)
- 4 oz quality dark chocolate* (I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao baking bar)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa)
- 3 TBS coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp pink salt (or sea salt)
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (dairy-free if needed)
- In a small sauce pan, melt the 4oz of chocolate with coconut oil over low heat, stirring continuously until chocolate and coconut oil has melted together. Add in honey and stir until well combined. Remove from heat, allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8x8, or 9x9, pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add chopped beets to bowl of small food processor and process until pureed. If having a hard time processing, add 1 TBS water. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cacao powder, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk everything together until no clumps remain. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs and vanilla extract. Add your cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Next add your beet puree and whisk until combined.
- Add cacao mixture to large bowl of wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in dry ingredients until combined.
- Add in chocolate chips and gently combine.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean. A few crumbs are okay.
- Allow brownies to cool in pan for 20 minutes before cutting into 16 squares.
-Keep brownies in airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days fresh.
-If keeping brownies in fridge, the beet flavor may come through slightly.
I think you’ll be impressed!
SO. RANDOM QUESTION….
Have you started your holiday shopping yet?! I feel a little behind myself. Maybe this next weekend I’ll find some good stuff… although probably online. I’m just not much of an in-store shopper these days. Unless it’s Target… How about you?
PIN IT to save for later.
Thank you LOVE BEETS for sending me coupons so I could make this recipe that turned out SO GREAT. You guys rock.
On social media? Let’s stay in touch.
Facebook: Fit Mitten Kitchen
Pinterest: [Ashley] Fit Mitten Kitchen
****Making something from FMK? #fitmittenkitchen and tag me so I can have a looksee ?