These 3-Ingredient Dark Chocolate Covered Date Nut Bars are such a simple, good-for-you treat you’re most definitely going to want to keep your fridge stocked! All you need is a food processor, dates, nuts, melted dark chocolate and 10 minutes in the freezer for this healthy yet delectable dessert. Vegan and paleo-friendly.
True story: today I was supposed to share a “red, white, & blue” recipe… You know, to be all festive and whatnot. And I say “supposed to” in a sense that is what my calendar told me I was doing. Or what I wrote down in my calendar so I could tell myself what I was supposed to be doing… Am I confusing you yet? It’s cool, I confuse myself on the daily. Join the club.
So I had this brilliant beyond brilliant idea (or so I thought) that was going to be a delicious, easy no-bake bar using some fresh “Americana berries”, if you will…
Long story short let’s just say I wasn’t patient enough and I had a little bit of a flop, again *eyeroll*
So that dessert taunted me for a good week. I kept putting it in my planner to come back to. And each day I avoided it and made something else.
Maybe I’ll come back to the dessert one day for you all, but for now…
I BRING YOU CHOCOLATE
Because who the heck doesn’t want chocolate? I probably choose chocolate over fruit desserts 95% of the time anyways, so why should my blog be any different? I mean, I TRY to balance with you guys, I do. But if you’re a familiar face around these parts, you know what’s up.
The thing about my “supposed to” dessert is that I am basically sharing the bottom crust portion of the bar with you all right now because it’s still pretty amazeballs.
So I’m kind of sharing part of the recipe with you…
And then I just covered it in chocolate and all was well in the world again!
These bars only take 3 INGREDIENTS. THREE. TRES… I don’t know any other languages.
And you would not believe that three ingredients such as these would be so amazingly satisfying together.
But they are. And they’re freakin’ amazin’.
And an awesomely healthy treat.
What you need
THAT IS IT.
Get your food processor or high-powered blender out and these bars are ready in less than 15 minutes when it’s all said and done.
[Tweet “Just 3 ingredients and you have yourself one tasty no-bake chocolate dessert bar! “]
- 11-12 medjool dates (1 cup packed), pitted and soaked for 5 minutes, drained.
- 1½ cups nuts (I used all pecans, but a mix of almonds, walnuts, pecans, and/or cashews will all work!)
- 1 cup quality dark chocolate chips, melted (~6oz)
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper, or use a silicone square pan and place on baking sheet, set aside. You may also use 9x5 loaf pan, your base will just be thicker.
- In a food processor add drained/pitted dates and nuts. Process until dates and nuts have broken down, and only small pieces of nuts can be seen. Mixture should be sticky.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan, pressing evenly into all corners and press down flat.
- Pour melted chocolate (I used microwave) over bars and spread evenly.
- Place bars in freezer for 10 minutes to allow chocolate layer to set, or fridge for at least 20 minutes. Remove bars from pan and place on cutting mat for easier slicing. Using knife, gently slice into 24 bars. Enjoy!
TOOLS USED FOR THIS RECIPE
I have a feeling these chocolate covered date nut bars are going to be in rotation with these guys.
But I will bringing chocolate 😀
so tell me…
- Ever have a recipe flop turn into another (better) idea?
- Favorite festive red, white & blue dessert?
- 4th of July plans?! Drew and I will be headed up to the U.P. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) for the whole week! So if I am a little M.I.A. next week, that’s why 😉 We’ll be out on the lakes and all the way up to Lake Superior! I am hoping to have enough time next after week to check in and share some of the trip with you 🙂 But until then, hasta la vista.
making something from FMK? Tag me so I can have a looksee …
I LOVE seeing what you’ve made.
Facebook: Fit Mitten Kitchen
Pinterest: [Ashley] Fit Mitten Kitchen